The #1 Health Trend in the World
Wellbeing is the #1 trend in the world according to some health professionals and there are 5 Steps to Total Wellbeing. Over the last several weeks, I have blogged about the first of these steps – physical fitness.
The Ancients, those earliest inhabitants of the planet, brought us yoga and used asana, or physical movement through postures, as a place to begin. They knew the importance of physical activity.
To review, the spine can move in 5 directions and each week for the past 4 weeks we have explored a yoga practice designed for a specific direction. We have experienced a practice focusing on forward bends, twists, backbends, lateral bends and axial extension.
And, this week we bring all directions of movement together in one practice. Click here to try the 7-Step Combination Practice. You can complete it in under 10 minutes – just like the others. By the way, you can still do one of the practices designed to focus on one particular direction. The combination practice just gives you the option of bringing it all together.
Please Note: If you have not received these 5 free practices and would like to, please opt-in at www.yogaforself.net In addition to the practices, you receive information and tips on the why’s, wherefore’s, benefits and cautions when practicing each particular direction of movement. It’s a great way to initiate your Home Practice or breathe new life into your current Home Practice.
Tips for Your Home Practice
Yoga practices do not need to be long or intense to be effective. According to Prevention Magazine’s June issue, scientists are learning that even the gentlest yoga can make life better. It is the connection between mind and body that yoga fosters that is important. This connection creates deeper awareness and that can happen in gentle or strenuous yoga. Following are some things to consider as you practice.
- Focus on your breath as you practice to stay engaged. When your mind wanders away, gently bring it back to your breath with no judgment. A wandering mind happens to everyone.
- Be mindful of how your body feels in each posture. Where are you feeling the pose? It is okay to feel a stretch but if you feel pain, please do not continue. Adapt the posture or stop what you are doing.
- What time of day works best for you to practice? You’ll be more likely to stick with a home practice if you do it around the same time each day. It’s also helpful to practice in the same place each time.
- Decide how much time you have to do your practice. I’ve kept all these practices under 10 minutes because just a few minutes will produce visible benefits over time. Practice as often as your schedule permits but, again, don’t beat yourself up about it. Self-compassion is another lovely benefit from practicing yoga.
- Please do the postures in the order presented. There is a science around the sequencing that helps protect your spine.
Enjoy and Breathe Easy
Health is a precious gift and my goal is to help you live a healthier, happier life through yoga. Every private session is uniquely designed just for you. For a free telephone consultation call me at 303.818.4181. Discover whether personalized, private yoga instruction is right for you.
Leave a Reply
(303) 818 - 4181