7 Steps to a Good Night’s Sleep
If you’ve ever had trouble getting to sleep or staying asleep, try the Caring Breath. It was introduced to me many years ago by Margaret Pierce, my first yoga teacher and founder of The Pierce Yoga Program. I’ve found it to be very effective. Thank you, Margaret, for this amazing technique and for giving me the gift of yoga.
The Caring Breath combines arm and head movements with relaxing breathing so that your awareness and energy are directed inside. As the name implies, you’ll feel soothed and cared for. Here are the steps:
- Come to a comfortable seated position with your back straight and hands resting on your thighs/knees
- Bring your attention to your breath and take a few easy breaths
- Inhale while raising your right forearm (bend at the elbow). Pause
- Exhale while gently turning your head to the left and bringing your right hand to the left side of your chest. Pause
- Inhale while bringing head and forearm back to the front. Pause
- Exhale while lowering your head and right forearm. Pause several seconds. Relax your face, tongue and eyes
- Change to your left forearm and reverse directions as you move your left forearm and turn your head to the right and repeat steps 3 – 6
Continue alternating back and forth several times. Stay relaxed and centered as you lie down for a good night’s sleep.